Sunday, February 25, 2018

Music.

I went to a music festival at the beach today.

I saw a young 22 year old step on stage in a yellow dress and cowboy boots, all shy, nervous talking, almost like she needed her sunglasses to hide her and give her the courage to be there...
And then she played guitar. And then she sang.
Her name is Heather Gillis.
My friend Cheryl asked me if she was my new rockstar stage girlfriend..... I said No.
I might listen to Rachel Warfield on the same stage and get lost in her dreamy lips and flirting hips..
But listening to and watching Heather Gillis is like watching my little sister achieve greatness. She is captivating.
Captivating.
Greatness.
In this day and age of upcoming musicians, I don't know what paths it takes to become successful or even great, but I hope Heather Gillis finds it. She is Great.

I watched a homeless man, older than me, minding his own business, not bothering anybody, dance for 2-1/2 hours. Nothing crazy. Not whacked out. Just listening to the live music and dancing. Feeling it.
Why can't I let go and dance like that, I asked myself.
Rather afraid of my answer.
I'll get back to you on that.

I also watched a young lady in a sun dress dance it up like no one was watching.
If I was ever in a crowd, she wouldn't stand out like as my "type" you might say. Twice my height. Twice my bone structure. Sundress and and a baseball cap. Barefoot.
But wow, she danced like I wish I could dance.
Like no one was watching.
Feeling it.
Why can't I let go and dance like that, I asked myself.
Rather afraid of my answer.
I'll get back to you on that...

I also met Ross and Bonnie.
Both are much older than me, hobbled by obvious health issues. Ross relied on a cane and sat when he could. You could tell he was a handsome man and popular and enjoyed life's successes. Bonnie was skinny and not very sure-footed. She seemed to use every ounce of energy she had to remain independent. She had such a bright smile and an enthusiastic look about her. They are the kind of people I wished I met 20 years ago.
So, I am standing behind Ross. He is sitting. He reaches for his phone. He is shaking. He fumbles with it and lifts it to take a picture. I can see the view screen and see him trying to zoom in to capture his picture. Ross takes like 10 pics, each takes effort and you can tell he is trying to capture each one just right.
Ross is taking pictures of Bonnie. Bonnie is up in front of the stage, standing in the sunlight. Crowds away from us.
She looks 20 years younger.
And Ross is taking her picture like they are dating.
After the music ended, I confessed to Ross that I was looking over his shoulder and it touched me that he wasn't taking pictures of the band, but I caught him taking pictures of Bonnie...
I asked him how long they've been together.
22 years he said.
Coulda been 24 he said, but he fucked up once 22 years ago....

Deep breath.
Music. Man. I love music.

Music really can touch the soul.

.

No comments: